The Hill Areas Department is the Administrative Department for both the Autonomous Councils of Karbi Anglong and North Cachar Hills (since renamed as Dima Hasao). Both the hill districts are administered subject to the special provision of the Sixth Schedule (Part-I) to the Constitution of India which confers certain measures of autonomy. Under the Hill Areas Department, there is a Commissionerate viz. Office of the Development Commissioner for Hill Areas of Assam and a corporation namely Assam Hills Small Industries Development Corporation Ltd.
Vision of the Department
Well being and all round development of people living in the Karbi Anglong and NC Hills Autonomous Councils with socio-economic indicators comparable to other parts of the country and Sustainable development of natural resources of the two Hill Councils.
Mission of the Department
- To enable and strengthen the Autonomous Councils to discharge their functions efficiently under Sixth Schedule of the Constitution of India through policy support and interface with Government of Assam Departments.
- Provision of adequate funds to the two Autonomous Councils under various schemes/ programmes for the holistic development of two Council Areas.
- To monitor the scheme / programme implementation to improve the performance of programme management by the Councils.
- To provide policy framework for accountability including District Fund Rules for Financial propriety.
Business transacted in Hill Areas Department
- The Hill Areas Department administers the provisions of the Sixth Schedule to the Constitution of India and rules framed thereunder.
- Matters relating to Administrative functioning of both the Autonomous Councils.
- Through the Development Commissioner for Hill Areas of Assam, the Department prepares the Annual Plan for both the hill districts as per Planning and Development Department's instruction as well as monitors implementation of schemes.
- Review the implementation of projects / schemes periodically.
- The Hill Areas Department gets the schemes / projects inspected and verified during the process of implementation and also on completion.
- The Hill Areas Department undertakes all inter-departmental co-ordination in respect of the entrusted subjects.
- People living in hill areas covered by both the Councils of Karbi Anglong and North Cachar Hills.
- Office of the Development Commissioner for Hill Areas of Assam
- Karbi Anglong Autonomous Council
- North Cachar Hills Autonomous Council
- Assam Hills Small Industries Development Corporation Ltd.
Services provided to Clients
- The Department transfers funds to the Karbi Anglong Autonomous Council (KAAC) and North Cachar Hills Autonomous Council (NCHAC) through Single Window System in respect of the entrusted subjects (entrusted to the Councils).
- Accord necessary Administrative approval and financial sanction to the Centrally Sponsored Schemes and projects under Non Lapsable Central Pool of Resources (NLCPR), schemes under MoS funded by the Ministry of DONER, Government of India.
- Issue Fixation of Ceiling (FOC) to the Councils and other Clients.
Time line of services provided
|Services||Documents required||Time Line||Concern Officer|
|1. Funds transfer||i. Requisition from Clients|
ii. Utilization Certificate
iii. Action Plan
iv. Progress Report
v. Photographic evidence
vi. Inspection report (in special case)
|15 days after receipt of all documents||Sri D.C. Das, ACS, Jt. Secy, HAD|
|2. Administrative Approval||i. Approved Detailed Project Report |
ii. Sanction from Government of India
iii. Budget Provision
iv. Priority List
| 15 days after receipt of all documents||Sri A.K. Bora, Under Secy, HAD|
|3. Financial sanction||i. Sanction from Government of India|
ii. Recommendation of Planning & Development Department
iii. Finance Concurrence
iv. Administrative Approval
v. Budget Provision
|15 days||Sri A.K. Bora, Under Secy, HAD|
|4. Issuing Ceiling of Non-Plan funds|
(non – salary) (for Council)
|i. Requisition from Clients|
ii. Utilization Certificate
iii. Work Plan
iv. Progress Report
v. A.A.S.F.S. (in special case)
|Within 7 days|
of concurrence received from Finance Department
|Sri D.C. Das, ACS, Jt. Secy, HAD|
|5. Issuing of Ceiling for non – plan (salary) to Council||i. Requisition from clients|
ii. Budget Provision
|Within 7 days||Sri D.C. Das, ACS, Jt. Secy, HAD|
|6. Uploading of Acts / rules / O.M./ circular||i. O.M.|
|30 days||Sri A.K. Bora, Under Secy, HAD|
|7. Updating|| ||15 days||Sri A.K. Bora, Under Secy, HAD|
|8. Sanction of leave||i. Application in format|
ii. Leave admissibility report
|15 days||Dr. A. U. Choudhury, IAS, Commissioner & Secretary, HAD|
|9. Additional services under RTPS|| ||days||Sri A.K. Bora, Under Secy, HAD|
Grievance Redress Mechanism
A grievance redress cell is in place in the Hill Areas Department headed by Sri D. C. Das, ACS, Joint Secretary with Mobile No. 94351 29803.
Grievances may also be placed before the following officer in hierarchal order.
- Sri Alock Kumar Bora, Under Secretary, Mobile No.: 9435402625
- Sri D. C. Das, ACS, Joint Secretary, Mobile No.: 9435129803
- Dr. A. U. Choudhury, IAS, Phone No.: (0361)2237227
Expectation from Clients
The Hill Areas Department expects co-operation in execution of developmental schemes and maintaining their sustainability and cleanliness. It also excepts that the client will submit proposals with all necessary papers. Co-operation is also expected for the safety and security of the implementing agencies as well as the infrastructure developed.
This Citizen's Charter will be reviewed annually. Anybody having any suggestion in this regard may submit it to :
|Name||:||Dr. A. U. Choudhury, IAS|
|Designation||:||Commissioner & Secretary to the Govt. of Assam Hill Areas Department|
|Address||:||Janata Bhawan, Block D, Second Floor|